Saturday, December 13, 2008

To Sick To Write My Thoughts Just A Reminder...


My son Drake was taken care of while his mommy couldn't even get out of bed today. This is him at my friends house sleeping peacefully... But because of my dear friend Erica I was at peace all day long knowing he was fine.... thank you for all you have done and will do for me I truly appreciate you.....and I quote her message from her blog last night...."




"On Wednesday I had the privilege of accompanying my dear friend Elizabeth to her first chemotherapy treatment. As we were talking, the nurse was changing out bags of meds for Elizabeth as I mentioned something about Amy. The nurse heard us and asked,
"You know Amy?"
"Yeah, she's my sister-in-law."
"Are you kidding?"
"Nope. She's actually watching my daughter today so I can be here with Elizabeth. Do you happen to know Charlene?"
"Yeah."
"Well, she's our good friend as well and she is watching my son so I can be here."
"Unbelievable. "
"It's been a crazy year that's for sure."
Here was a nurse who had witnessed and nursed all of these girls through their treatment. I just sat there for a minute and reflected on what a bizarre year it has been. Amy and Charlene are finishing up Herceptin and reconstructive surgeries while Elizabeth begins her journey and starts chemotherapy. Elizabeth and I cried as we talked about what are the chances of having 2 of my closest friends and my sister-in-law all being diagnosed with cancer in one year. I mean seriously. This path feels all too familiar for all of us. Scott has of course stepped up again as well. As I try and help where I can with a meal or having kids over to play, he looks the other way at the things that don't get done around the house or just does them for me. I think sadly each time this process starts again, it makes us both realize just how lucky we have been and puts things back into perspective again.
It may have seemed like just another day for Elizabeth and I on Wednesday. She was cute as ever and her new shorter hair looked spectacular (all curly so no one would confuse us...wink, wink), make up on, kicked back in our recliners, sipping our Dr. Pepper, discussing all sorts of hot topics, giggling and laughing like we were on some type of girls day out. But in reality, we were sitting in a room full of people who were all being pumped full of drugs to kill the cancer in their bodies. CANCER. This was no day at the spa. This was simply just two friends trying to make the best of an ugly situation one friend had found herself in. Recliners helped, caffeine helped, laughing definitely helped and a tear snuck in here and there brought us back to the reality of the real reason we were there. When I dropped her off at home, she was feeling a little tired, but by that night, she felt sick, achy and completely wiped out.
The cancer path is a well beaten one, the treatments are brutal, the medicines, the trips, the pain are all overwhelming but these girls continue to push on and show me what the true meaning of BRAVE is on a daily basis and remind me to be grateful for the small inconveniences, not trials, that I have in my life..........and for that my friends, I thank you for your stellar examples. "

2 comments:

Christine said...

Wow, I don't even know who Erica is. I've never met her but if I ever get the pleasure I will tell her "thank you". Thank you for taking such good care of my friend and her children and thank you for your words of inspiration and comfort. If I ever find myself in your shoes, facing cancer too (which in my case is very likely one day) I will try to remember what examples of bravery and strength you and Elizabeth are to me. I love you and I don't even know you! Thank you!

Kristen said...

I just LOVED that. Thanks so much for sharing. Please hug all of your friends there for me and let them know how much I truly appreciate that they are in your life and are there to lift you up and take care of you when I can't. Even though it kills me to be so far away when I want to be there for you, I am so grateful you are surrounded by such loving friends. Love you tons.