Thursday, December 18, 2008

A RUN I didn't get to RUN!

Mitch taking Drake for his last day of school before break so I could watch Ethen run the Jingle Jog!




This is Ethen with the Santa Hat on getting ready to take off!


Every Year Ethen's school does a Jingle Jog the last day of school before Christmas Break. They get to Run 1.5 miles around the school & community with lots of supporters riding on golf carts and hearing the sounds of jingle bells in the air. I was real excited this year for it to come because I was going to run it with him.... Well as we all know that didn't happen. Ethen did not seem to mind one bit that I did not get to participate with him. So for that I was happy....but I began to have an interesting thought as I watched him start the run by himself amongst 100's of other participators and children.
A year ago I decided to begin running....I actually had to "learn" to run because I've never been a runner. This turned into a hobby for me to do for myself. And because of my running and the physical feelings I was having while running began to seem "not right" ... which
led me to the doctor's which

led me to the Mammogram tech which

led me to a surgeon which

led me to saving my LIFE!

On a side note:(I seriously had no indications of breast cancer. But as I began running ...wearing sports bras became uncomfortable and the doctor then reinforced that in his opinion this was not do to running or wearing a sports bra that was to tight.)
So as I watch Ethen run today... Tears went down my face with sunglasses on (of course so no one wondered why I'd be crying during a fun event for the school).... I watch my son run without me and I was okay with that because as I stood their with my body aching and in somewhat of pain that I'm still experiencing with post surgery....

I was happy that:

#1. I was able to get out of bed today and see him run the full 1.5 miles and cheer him on.

#2. Even though I was not in the actual event this time I felt like I have already made that 1.5 mile run towards getting well and being thankful for listing to that "small voice" that told me when something just wasn't right!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

There you go with your wonderful outlook again. Thank goodness you did run. Saved your life. Glad you could at least make it to watch him.