Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Shopping is Done... I picked out my Surgeon!


Making a decision which surgeon to choose really has messed with my head! It is funny how things work out.. My head is clear (for now) I met with the team of Plastic Surgeons today to discuss my options. This wonderful doctor feels that I can begin the 1st stage of reconstruction the day of the mastectomy. So here is the "order of operation (s)" ...

1. Breast Surgeon: Mastectomy take away the entire breast 3 hours long...

2. Reconstruction Surgeon: Start building me a new one! 2 hours long... This will be part 1 of 4 surgeries... This way I can eliminate another surgery with getting it started ASAP!

**What I have learned is some surgeons do not like to have you "reconstructed" the same day but for me and knowing the time this will take I found a surgeon that is willing to work with me and get a jump start on this! The other Surgeon wanted me to wait for a while then begin reconstruction which would be a very long process...that did not feel right for me but I was willing to do it...

So surgery date will be given to me soon. The reason for the delay is getting my team of surgeons together at the same hospital.

After this we will know what kind of treatment I will need....


I have a link for those interested: My best Friend who lives in Tennessee shared this with me... Her friend just finished treatment last month and is giving her story. This article is unique because all the women sharing their story are YOUNG!!!!! 20's-30's Please Girls Have a Mamo! http://memphiswomanonline.com/Home.html

4 comments:

Owen said...

I am glad you are at peace with your decision Elizabeth. The Lord will direct you and give you comfort with the decisions you make. We love you and will do whatever we can to help you through the process. Sleep well.

Melissa and Trevor said...

I am glad that things are working out with finding a Dr. that will work with you. Let me know when your surgery is and send your kids over!

Kristen said...

I am SOOOOOO glad you got your second opinion and found the Dr that would do what you want. SEE? Didn't I tell you to keep looking? I love it when I'm right. You still need to call me! LOVE YA TONS AND TONS!

Pocketful of Posh Boutique said...

Glad to hear you found someone you trust and feel comfortable with. Please keep us posted and really let me know if you need anything.