Friday, June 12, 2009

Change in Plans....



Okay NOTHING is going as planned!
When you have breast cancer and choose to do reconstruction at the same time you think this will be much easier in the end but I have learned there are to many things that can go wrong and I'm experiencing most of them...I met with my Radiologist today to see how things look and he said the skin doesn't look any better! So he would like to no longer radiate me! Part of me just felt sick inside...What if there is still cancer cells that have not been wiped out buy the light of radiation! Am I stopping to soon? He then proceeded to tell me that my skin reacted so much to the radiation that more than likely the cancer cells reacted the same way and are gone in that area! It made sense to me and if you could see the skin directly on my expanded breast you would agree! It looks terrible. So the next thing he did was check the rest of my skin. As you can see it looks as if I was out in the sun with no sun block. This picture shows what it looks like in the front. It also looks like this on my back and under my arm where the lymph nodes were removed... It really looks bad but I'm just try to not let it bother me because I know how important it is to zap this cancer!


SO the next step is to visit the plastic surgeon and see if I need a skin graft. Can you believe that Radiation can burn you all the way through? I will not know about the skin graft for sure until next week. BUT I will have to go to the burn unit at the hospital and have Oxygen Therapy(so instead of Radiation Thearpy it has changed to Oxygen Thearpy). This is for burn patients that need oxygen to hit the skin which will enable blood supply to build in the area and hopefully heal... So for now I will just wait and see what the NEXT Plan will be. Even though my treatments are done my plans have changed to something I never thought would happen! What Next?

4 comments:

Owen said...

You are beautiful!! It was so fun to hang out the other night! I told Scott you looked so sheik and tyical Elizabeth beauty when I saw you. Truly you continue to handle this whole thing with confidence and grace.

Shannon and Jimmy said...

wow what a trooper. If only there were more people like you in the world.

Amy Sue said...

oh my goodness! i'm glad they have a new plan for you.

please let me know if i can do anything for you--meals, help with kids, ANYTHING!

i'm so proud of you!

Kristen said...

Holy Cow Lib! You just can't do anything the easy way, can you?
Love you tons. Still in our prayers every day.