Monday, January 26, 2009

To Expand or Not to Expand!




Funny kind of example of a tissue Expander but this is how it works:



After I had the mastectomy the Reconstruction Doctor inserted the tissue expander to begin expanding for a new breast.




This is another picture of how the expander works! The figure shows how it was inserted into my chest wall and then expanded each week... AfterI had the 2nd surgery to "fix" the infection, I took a break from expanding the tissue for a new boob! I felt I needed a little time to heal since I had so many surgeries plus chemo!


So today I had an appointment to get expanded and I just felt like it was not time! I drove to the doctor saying to myself should I expand or not expand? I felt I could not take the pain (it's more pressure than pain) So when I went into the doctors office she was already to expand and I said... "I'm not ready!" She said that I could wait 1 more week and then I'd need to get moving so I could get this tissue stretched... I learned today that I have to get OVER EXPANDED before I can finish the reconstruction part which means a bigger boob for a while... So Next Week I Will Begin The Process Again....

2 comments:

Kristen said...

It's crazy how much your little body has to go through. And your poor breast. GOODNESS!!!! You are one tough cookie. Of coarse,I already knew that. Did you see the pics of Brooke and Jadyn's hair chop that they sent to locks of love?

Anonymous said...

Love the diagram pics in this post. Hope you are well and thinking of you!