Monday, December 21, 2009

A Good Reminder...From My Mommy

My mother is the type of person who often keeps her opinions to herself, is a good listener and lets me just vent without giving me lots of advice. However today I began to complain to her a little. I started out by saying to her ~If I hadn't burned from radiation so badly I would not be preparing for this 8 hour surgery to try and fix my boob with my own skin.~If I could have only reacted Normal to radiation like other people do I would have just the basic reconstruction with no extra scars.

She stopped me before I could continue any more and said..." You are alive!!!" "You are alive!" Be thankful for that.



Knowing my scars will be a constant reminder of the cancer I had. And that no matter how much reconstruction I have to put me back together again, I will never look the same. I could not complain or say anything else at that moment...She quickly gave me a good reminder of what's important. I'm alive.....

2 comments:

Christy said...

Modern medicine can be amazing. If your boob is worth the scar then go for it, which I'm sure it is. You can refer to your scar as your badge of courage. It will fade in time and become less noticeable thru the years just as your memories of this whole cancer battle. You'll never forget this time in your life, the scar won't let you, but that doesn't mean it has to be a negative reminder, hopefully you'll be able to find a way to make it a positive reminder like, Ok I have this scar that I totally wasn't prepared for but that "scar" will be a living reminder that you are indeed alive and that you still have a gorgeous family and years ahead of you to fulfill those things your heart had always planned for you and your family. We'll continue to keep you in our prayers as always. Hang in there, the Lord surely must have great things in store for you, he has promised he won't give us more than we can bare, I'm sure this is no comfort to you now but maybe in the future when you survive and fight thru this next phase of your recovery...
Love you guys.

Kristen said...

Yes...You are alive...and we are so glad! Wise momma!