Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Change In Plans!


My reconstruction surgery to put the expander back into the radiated breast area was scheduled for December 9th, I wasn't wanting to do this before Christmas but had no choice with Insurance issues and the end of the 2009. On Monday I went in to see my doctor and go over my surgery date, medications, etc.... Dr. Boll came in looked at me and within seconds she said "Change in Plans". Your skin is so tough and tight. There is no way an expander is going to be able to go in." I just didn't heal well and this is the terrible thing about Radiation. Its different for many people but for me I probably had the worse case for skin that can not be worked with.


This means only one thing! SKIN Graft or Reconstruction Using Back Tissue:
When back tissue is used for breast reconstruction, it involves the latissimus Dosi muscle, along with the skin and fat that covers the muscle. This procedure is called a latissimus Dosi (LD) flap. The tissue from my back is removed and moved to the front of my chest, with the arteries and veins still attached. Since most women do not have enough fatty tissue on their back to recreate a breast using only the LD flap I will have an implant put in that same day.


8 hour surgery....6 week recovery...4 day stay in hospital. Lovely! Because of the length of surgery I am happy to say it has been moved to Dec28th right before the New Year so hopefully Ill get it ALL in before the new insurance issues arise in 2010...


So for now this is a quick up date.. More to come later... Hope you all are Happy and Doing Well. I think of you all often.




2 comments:

Krista said...

Ohhh Elizabeth!!!! I'm reading this through tears. When will the madness end? You are always in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

You continue to inspire me with your strength! You are amazing and I love you! Hope your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving!